Omega Seamaster VS Rolex Submariner
Which one of these diving watches is better?
There is a time when professional divers look at their equipment and decide it's time for an upgrade. Whenever one is putting their life at risk, one has to weigh the benefits of investing in some heavy duty gear.
A diving watch is no exception and there are many watches for divers on the market that are worth a look. This article will weigh the pros and cons of choosing from two luxury watch brands that produce the most popular diving watches.
For the sake of simplicity, let's benchmark the Omega Seamaster VS Rolex Submariner. NOTE: These are both excellent watches but let's see which one is the best watch for you.
For your convenience, you can examine any of these collections in a new window by clicking on the buttons below otherwise proceed with the comparison.
Take the Omega Seamaster watch for example. It comes from a well-respected and long-establishedSwiss watchmaker whose name is up there with the likes of brands like Rolex. These two brands are often head to head with their latest diver's watches.
While both brands produce movements that are dependable and built to be rock-solid, the Omega Seamaster is said to be more legible underwater with more luminous fill but has a slightly lower power reserve if compared to the Submariner.
In addition, it is more affordable. At about only half the price, there is a substantial price difference between the Omega Seamaster Professional 300m and the Rolex Submariner.
PLEASE NOTE: A new Seamaster Diver 300m series has been released since this article was originally written. To see how this new 2018 series (called the Omega Seamaster Diver 300m Co-Axial Master Chronometer) compares to the Seamaster Diver 300m Co-Axial discussed in this article, click here.
You'll notice the Seamaster featured here has a date window but the Submariner doesn't. That's because the Sub in the above image is Rolex reference 114060. There are several models of Rolex Subs that have the date function and their trademark Cyclopse magnifyer lense.
There are some that prefer the appearance of Omega's date windows since they find the Cyclopse magnifyer a bit distracting but then again, there are those who absolutely love it. You have to decide for yourself.
- An excellent choice for a diver's watch and is used by diving professionals around the world
- More legible under dark conditions
- Helium Escape Valve
- This watch features a helium release valve which is helpful when a diver resurfaces and needs to manually release any helium build up which under normal above-water pressure conditions can cause the watch crystal to pop-off.
- Style Options
- The Seamaster is a large collection with many different style options
- It is about half the price of a Rolex Submariner
- Brand Recognized
- The Omega is a very prestigious brand with approximately 70% brand recognition worldwide but doesn't have the same nearly 100% worldwide recognition as Rolex. 70% is still incredible, though.
- Resale Value
- The Omega brand generally has a lower resale value but this largely depends on the watch
- Accuracy & Precision
- The movement is not as accurate than a Superlative Chronometer
- Some say that the bezel on the Seamaster is not as easy to rotate as the "Cerachrom" ceramic bezel on the Rolex Submariner
- Anti-Reflective Coating
- The A.R. coating on the Seamaster is on the outside of the crystal whereas, on the Rolex Submariner, the anti-reflective coating is on the inside which keeps it from being scratched off.
In terms of prestige, the Rolex brand is bar none, the most recognizable brand out there with almost 100% brand recognition worldwide while Omega watches is closer to 70%.
So as far as which watch is a bigger status symbol, one would have to say that the Omega Seamaster watches fall a little short. Nonetheless, the Omega Seamaster is an excellent watch from a very prestigious brand that also has great value but as a result of the difference in brand recognition, there is about a 30% loss in the resale value and street value on the Omega Seamaster compared to the Rolex Submariner.
Aside from being a COSC certified superlative chronometer, and having a slightly better power reserve, the fluted bezel on the Submariner according to some, has a better grip than the bezel on the Omega Seamaster so there are also some practical advantages to the Rolex Submariner versus the Omega Seamaster.
The model you see here is the Rolex Oyster Perpetual Submariner reference 114060 which has no date function. The Seamaster featured here does. For about a thousand more, you can opt for the Rolex Oyster Perpetual Submariner Date models starting with 116610, 116613, 116618 and 116619 that do have the date function with a Cyclopse magnifyer lense.
- Resale Value
- Rolex watches generally has a higher resale value than Omega watches but this is not a blanket statement it often depends on the watch
- Brand Prestige
- Rolex has more brand recall and is a slightly more internationally recognized brand than Omega.
- Precision & Accuracy
- The Rolex Superlative Chronometer designation means that the precision of the movement is first tested by COSC, and after the movement receives a COSC certification with an impressive accuracy and precision of -4/+6 seconds per day.
The movement is then returned to Rolex. Further testing is then conducted by Rolex, in-house while in the watch case until an accuracy of -2/+2 seconds per day is achieved.
However, there are those that believe that only a third party should be responsible for chronometric designations.
- Some say the "Cherachrom" ceramic bezel on the Submariner is much easier to rotate than the bezel on the Omega Seamaster
- Anti-Reflective Coating
- The Rolex Submariner, the anti-reflective coating is on the inside which keeps it from being scratched off whereas the A.R. coating on the Seamaster is on the outside of the crystal which can more easily get scratched off over time.
- Style Options
- Not nearly as many style options as the Seamaster Diver series shown here
- Price Tag
- Higher price tag
Here is a side by side comparison of the Omega Seamaster VS Rolex Submariner specifications, features and more.
|Series||Seamaster Diver 300m Co-Axial Automatic 41mm||Oyster Perpetual Submariner|
|Case Material||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel|
|Bracelet/Strap||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel|
|Clasp||Push Button Folding Clasp||Folding Clasp with Safety Latch|
Omega Caliber 2500 d
Rolex Caliber 3130
|Movement Type||Automatic / Chronometer||Automatic / Chronometer|
|Power Reserve||48 hours||48 hours|
|Jewels in Movement||27 Jewels||31 Jewels|
|Bezel|| || |
|Crystal||Scratch Resistant Sapphire||Scratch Resistant Sapphire|
|Warranty||Prestige Time 3 Year Warranty||Prestige Time 5 Year Warranty|
Did you enjoy this comparison? Check out another one!
Not sure if either one of these collections is the right one for you?
If you enjoyed this comparison and feel that others would enjoy it too, please like and share it.
Most importantly, let us know your thoughts in the comments below. Thanks!