Rolex Sea Dweller VS Rolex Submariner: Which diver watch is better?
Use this comprehensive comparison to find out which one of these two Rolex diver watches is best for you.
Rolex Sea Dweller VS Rolex Submariner
- Both of these Rolex watches use the 31-jewel, Rolex Calibre 3135 movement.
- Both the Submariner Date and the Sea-Dweller 4000 have an approx. 50-hour power reserve. The Sea-Dweller 43mm has a 70-hour power reserve.
- Black "Cerachrom" bezel insert which is made of a hardened ceramic that is very durable and resistant to scratches. In addition, Cerachrom has great anti-corrosion properties and won't color fade when exposed to UV rays for long periods of time.
- Polished stainless steel-rimmed bezel with a ribbed edge for a sure grip.
- Patented "Triplock" crown which locks the crown down the Oyster case making it as tight as a submarine hatch.
- Bracelet fitted with the patented Glidelock Extension System buckle - a secure deploying style with adjustments in 2mm increments to a total of 20mm without the need for tools.
Rolex Sea Dweller 4000
The most impressive feature of the Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000 and the newer 43mm Sea-Dweller dive watch is the difference in Water Resistance when compared to the Rolex Submariner. While serious diving calls for a minimum of 1650 feet and up of water resistance, the Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000 boasts a whopping four thousand feet of resistance. See the pros & cons.
- Water Resistance
- Higher water-resistance of 4000ft / 1220m
- Precious Material Used
- Matte platinum-coated numbers & graduation indexes
- Long lasting blue luminous material
- The Sea Dweller 4000 features a full 60 seconds on the second track located on bezel itself whereas the Submariner has only 15 seconds printed on the bezel between the 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock position
- Price Tag
- Slightly higher price tag.
- Material Options
- Only available in a stainless steel case.
- Case Thickness
- This watch has a thicker case
Rolex Submariner Date
The one aesthetic difference that stands out the most is the Cyclops magnifier over the date of the Submariner while the Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000 is lacking one. However, the newer Rolex Sea-Dweller 43mm does have a cyclops magnifier over the date window. For some people, this may be a deal-breaker since the date magnifier is one of the most widely used and distinct features found on most Rolex watches. There is also the functional value of the magnifier.
At Baselworld 2017, Rolex introduced a new 50th Anniversary edition, a new and larger 43mm Single Red Oyster Perpetual Sea-Dweller Reference # 126600 which now includes a Cyclops magnifier just like the Sub and has the name Sea-Dweller in red on the dial. This new version uses the Rolex Calibre 3235 movement which has an impressive power reserve of up to 70 hours. It also has the highly legible Chromalit display, a practical feature for an adventure to the abysmal subaquatic depths commonly explored by diving professionals.
Another plus side of the submariner series is that there are many more models in several materials and color combinations compared to the SD 4000 which is only available at the time of writing this in stainless steel with a black dial and black Cherachrom bezel insert. See Pros and Cons:
- Price Tag
- Slightly lower price tag
- Date Magnifier
- Has the cyclops date magnifier
- Case Thickness
- This watch has a case that is less thick
- More choices of colors & materials
- Water Resistance
- The Submariner only has 1000 feet / 300 meters of water resistance which is a quarter of that of the Sea-Dweller which has 4000 feet / 1220 meters of water resistance
- Only a partial minute and second track is displayed on the bezel
- Power Reserve
- The Rolex Submariner Date has a shorter power reserve duration than the Rolex Sea-Dweller 43mm which has come to replace the older Sea-Dweller 4000 models
|Series:||Oyster Perpetual Submariner Date||Sea Dweller 4000||Sea Dweller 43mm|
|Case Material:||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel|
|Bracelet/Strap:||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel|
|Clasp Type:||Folding Clasp With Safety Latch||Folding Clasp With Safety Latch||Rolex Folding Oysterlock Safety Clasp|
|Bezel:||Uni-Directional Rotating||Uni-Directional Rotating||Uni-Directional Rotating|
|Crystal:||Scratch Resistant Sapphire||Scratch Resistant Sapphire||Scratch Resistant Sapphire|
|Power Reserve:||48 Hours||50 Hours||70 Hours|
|Add to Cart||Add to Cart|
Did you enjoy this comparison? Check out another one of our comparisons
Not sure if either one of these collections is the right one for you?
If you enjoyed this comparison and feel that others would enjoy it too, please like and share it. Thanks!