Rolex VS Hublot
There are those that swear by each brand but which one is the best for you?
Rolex VS Hublot: Which is Better?
We hear "What is a better watch Hublot or Rolex?" more often than you think and it can be answered in several ways depending on the context of the question." So let's answer all of them, shall we?
We are here to address some key questions that you're probably asking yourself when comparing Rolex VS Hublot. These two luxury brands are both very popular and are often considered when looking for a luxury watch from a well-known Swiss watchmaker. You may be considering a purchase and want to find out what is a better watch Hublot or Rolex. Both brands produce some great wristwatches. That said, in the case of Hublot VS Rolex, let's find out if it's Rolex or Hublot that is the best brand for you.
For your convenience, we created two buttons that link to each brand should you wish to let you visually compare their products while reading this comparison. Clicking on either one of the buttons will open a new tab so you can see them side by side.
Which Brand is Better, Rolex or Hublot?
16 watch brands rank in the top 50 Swiss brands. You will get an idea of just how essential watchmaking is in Switzerland as well as how big these brands are. Regarding recognition, this is how Rolex VS Hublot compare.
Rolex Versus Hublot Comparison
Rolex is the #3 most recognized Swiss brand worldwide* with only Nescafe and Nestle before them making Rolex the #1 most recognizable Swiss watch brand with almost 100% brand recognition internationally.
Hublot is in position #40 of the same top 50* Swiss brands making Hublot the 14th most recognizable Swiss watch brand in the world. Are they a major brand? Yes! Very major but people recall the Rolex brand more.
So regarding how many comments you'll get if you wore each watch, chances are, you will hear "Hey, Nice Rolex!" more often since a higher percentage of people (many of which are not "watch people" per se) will remember Rolex compared to Hublot. However, anyone who knows anything at all about watches would know Hublot is also superb watch brand albeit a much younger one.
Hublot VS Rolex Prices
Rolex Prices start at about $500 more than the cheapest Hublot. At the moment, the most affordable new Rolex would be the Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm men's watch followed by the Rolex Datejust 33mm ladies watches which cost about $500 more. They use automatic calibers that are purely mechanical movements.
Hublot Prices start at a lower price than a Rolex. With more affordable watches such as the 33mm and 36mm Classic Fusion Lady or the Men's 42mm Hublot Classic Fusion Automatic for about $150 more than the women's 33mm quartz version. These Hublot watches use cost-effective battery-powered quartz movements.
You should, however, compare apples with apples. Rolex doesn't make quartz watches, period. They pride themselves on only manufacturing mechanical watches which are considered more prestigious by watch lovers and collectors the world over. Yes, there used to be quartz Rolexes in the past. The Rolex Oysterquartz was last featured in their catalog in 2001, but ever since that last run, they have scrapped the idea and instead focused on producing only high-end and high-precision mechanical calibers for their watches.
So considering the above, what determines the value of the cheapest Rolex caliber VS the most affordable Hublot quartz movement?
Which leads us to the next question.
Hublot or Rolex: Which Holds Value Best?
Is Hublot a good watch? Yes. An excellent one. There is a direct correlation though between the value of a brand, the recognition of a brand and the resale value. While some watches have high resale value for other reasons such as the rarity or iconic status of a watch; as a general rule, the better the brand, the more you'll get back when trying to sell it. This rule works with most products, not just watches.
Regarding the street value of Rolex watches, you really can't paint an answer with a broad brush. However, regarding the percentage of what you originally paid for a Rolex or Hublot versus what you can sell it for, you will usually get more when reselling your Rolex watches compared to reselling your Hublot watch. It's almost a given every time. What's better than a Rolex? Regarding resale value? Nobody.
Now, as to why you'd want to sell a Rolex or Hublot watch? It beats me. However, let's look at common reasons why some people would (or wouldn't) buy a Hublot or a Rolex watch.
Pros & Cons of buying Hublot watches
- They have a reputation for being very trendy watches, most that command a presence on the wrist such as the tonneau shaped Hublot Spirit of The Big Bang
- Hublot has a few unique watches that are horological masterpieces such as the MP collection
- Their entry-level watches are slightly more affordable than Rolexes
- Hublot has a tremendous amount of bling, iced-out models.
- They're unique in the sense that there are many different materials and types of watch straps.
- They have a large number of limited edition watches and unique special edition watches.
- Hublot has many rubber strap watches. Rolex, on the other hand, has only a few models with their rubber alloy Oysterflex bracelets but since introduced on the Yachtmaster 40mm, it made its way into the Daytona collection as well.
- Hublot has quartz models which offer more precision and require less maintenance than mechanical wristwatches.
- They are a major watch brand but not as much of a well-known watch brand as Rolex.
- They usually don't hold the same resale value as Rolex watches
- They don't produce as many super high-priced bling models as Rolex (if that's what you're looking for) but have a great selection.
- While watch connoisseurs would recognize a Hublot as a respected brand that offers both mechanical and quartz watches. Some watch connoisseurs who usually marvel at the micromechanics and these purists have a tendency only to sing the praises of brands that exclusively offer purely mechanical watches. This isn't necessarily a con in any way since there are also many people who prefer quartz watches but it should nonetheless be mentioned.
As you can see from the above pros and cons that through their unique product line, Hublot has positioned their brand in the luxury watch market as a manufacturer that produces watches for trendsetters who appreciate watches that are unique and not traditional in any sense of the word. Hublot is a forward-looking brand that many watch people consider to be a "marketing watch brand" which is essentially a younger, less historically significant and sometimes less established brand that had a killer marketing strategy that is working well for them.
Hublot prides themselves on using the art of fusion to generate watches using materials that are not traditionally found on watches and also offer a large number of different types of color options and different types of bands. They are also competitively priced and in the last few years started producing in-house movements instead of using ETA ébauche movements in an effort to bring the brand's prestige a bit more up-market.
Pros & Cons of buying Rolex watches
- They are the most recognized brand of luxury watches in the world
- They have, in general, a better resale value than most luxury watch brands
- They have many bling models with diamond bezels, pavé dials (faces paved with diamonds), precious metals of all sorts (if you're into that).
- Many innovations have been patented by Rolex such as their Parachrom blue, Osterflex bracelets, Oysterlock, Everose gold (rose gold) alloy, Cerachrom bezel inserts, Triplock locking crown, and more
- Rolex makes quite a few iconic watches such as the Rolex Submariner and the Rolex Cosmograph Daytona, Rolex Explorer, Sea-Dweller and more
- Their mechanical watches are all Superlative Chronometers which are highly accurate and precise mechanical movements with a minimum precision of -2/+2 seconds per day
- They are usually slightly less affordable than Hublots
- You don't have as many different straps as with Hublot
- They don't have as many special edition watches, and limited edition watches as Hublot
- Hublot has many different rubber strap options more than Rolex
If you enjoyed this comparison and felt that others would enjoy it too, please like and share it. Thanks!