RARE & COLLECTIBLE: Limited & numbered edition of only 500 pieces. This is #174/500. An early production piece with the original SEIKO logo at the top of the dial & GS GRAND SEIKO at the bottom of the dial (subsequent models did away the original SEIKO logo).
Brushed & polished stainless steel case. Green dial. Silver dial flange. Applied polished index hour markers with luminous filled tips. Polished hands, the hour & minute hands with luminous fill. Fine printed minute/seconds track. Date window at 3 o'clock.
- GMT/2nd Time zone:
- 24 hour markings on the silver dial flange.
- Red arrow-head hand makes a single revolution once every 24 hour hours & points to the desired second time zone.
- The 2nd time-zone time is indicated in 24 hour mode to eliminate confusion between day & night at the additional time-zone.
- Power Reserve Indicator:
- located between 7 & 8 o'clock.
- Fitted on its original OEM Grand Seiko brown alligator leather strap with a push-button deployant buckle. The strap is in fair condition, with much of its wear time lifespan remaining. We would rate the strap as in 75% condition.
- Delivered with an additional OEM GS stainless steel brushed & polished bracelet. The bracelet will fit up to a 6-7/8" (17.5cm) wrist.
Powered by a Grand Seiko Spring Drive caliber 9r66: The Spring Drive movement is for the most part mechanical, but with an electrical powered regulating mechanism resulting in an extremely accurate timepiece.
- No external source of power (such as a battery) is required.
- The unwinding force of the mainspring generates a slight electrical current. The electrical power is then used to activate & power a quartz oscillator which vibrates at 32,786 Hz & transmits a precise reference signal to the Integrated Circuit.
- The IC compares the speed from the oscillator to the speed of the glide wheel (which drives the gears) and applies a magnetic brake when it detects the glide-wheel turning too fast.
- The seconds hand moves in a continuous extremely smooth gliding motion and is accurate up to +/- 1 second per day.
- Contains 30 jewels & has an approximate power reserve of 72 hours (3 days).
This watch is in overall fair to good condition, we would give it a 75%-80% rating as it does show quite a bit of wear. We have chosen not to have this watch polished or refinished in order to maintain the original factory 'zaratsu' finishing, and some collectors prefer not-refinished watches. If you'd want this watch in perfect condition we would recommend sending it into Grand Seiko (via their boutique) to be sent back to the factory in Japan for refinishing. A factory refinishing may take few months & comes at a considerable expense of roughly $700. The watch is operating flawlessly and is delivered in its original box with all papers. Complications:
GMT/Dual Time Zone, Power Reserve Indicator